Consider The Benefits Of Capsaicin
Another topical treatment is made from chili peppers, and research has shown that it can help with shingles pain reduction. Capsaicin comes in OTC and prescription forms, and it can be applied topically as a cream or by wearing a patchbut its tricky to administer properly. A report in Molecules noted that capsaicin can cause a burning sensation on the applied area, especially if applied in frequent dosages. In rare cases, it can also cause blood vessel constrictions. Be sure to get your doctors guidance before trying this method on your own.
Steroids Can Sometimes Help
Dr. Auwaerter notes that some older research done in the early 2000s supports the use of the steroid prednisone taken with an antiviral for short-term shingles pain relief, as well as a decreased risk of developing the more serious PHN. Steroids may be especially beneficial for people over 50, who are at higher risk for PHN. However, they can increase your risk of immunosuppression over time, so theyre generally used for shingles for just one to two weeks. If youre trying this approach, work closely with your doctor to manage the appropriate dosing.
Popular Creams For Alleviating Shingles Pain
What are shingles?Also known as herpes zoster, shingles is a condition that is triggered by the varicella zoster virus. It is the virus that is responsible for causing chickenpox. After chickenpox is treated, it remains in a dormant state inside the nervous system. Usually, shingles is characterized by a blistering rash on the skin. It is mostly a common condition in elderly individuals, who have a fragile immune system. However, any person can contract shingles. In most cases, after patients have recovered from shingles they will not get affected by it again. Although, it is possible for it to occur more than once.
Shingles is not a contagious condition, but there is a small possibility of the virus spreading to someone who has never had chickenpox and isnt vaccinated either.
Symptoms of shinglesThe most common symptom that is witnessed is a persistent form of pain that can be dull, sharp or might even burn. However, for some patients, the discomfort could be intermittent. The other signs indicating the onset of shingles are
To help you buy better, here are some of the best creams for shingles pain and itching.
Hydrocortisone creams When you are buying OTC creams for alleviating shingles pain and itching, ensure that the product has at least 1% of hydrocortisone in it. Hydrocortisone can offer quick relief from the common symptoms.
Cold compress Using a cold compress on the affected area several times a day can help calm the pain and irritation caused by shingles.
Also Check: Can You Get Shingles On Your Head
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Ive had chickenpox. Am I at risk of developing shingles?
- What is the best treatment for my shingles?
- The pain from shingles isnt going away. What can I do to make myself more comfortable?
- Im on treatment for shingles. When should I call my doctor if things dont get better?
- I have shingles and my children havent had the chickenpox vaccine. Should I get them vaccinated?
- Is the shingles vaccine right for me?
- Are there any risks associated with the shingles vaccine?
- Will my post-herpetic neuralgia ever go away?
- If Ive never had the chickenpox, should I still get the shingles vaccination?
Know The Bathing Dos And Donts
Using the right water temperature while bathing or showering can make a big difference in how your skin feels and heals. Ideally, you should bathe with cool or lukewarm water and avoid very hot water.
You can also apply a cool, wet compress to the rash and blisters. The AAD recommends you soak a clean washcloth in cold water and place the cloth on top of the affected area several times a day. Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
You should avoid rubbing washcloths, sponges, or exfoliants on the area.
You can also add colloidal oatmeal or cornstarch to your baths to provide some much-needed itch relief. Just be sure to dry your skin gently after getting out of the bath. Then, follow up with a layer of calamine lotion to soothe your skin, or keep it dry and cover with a bandage if its still weeping.
Also Check: Who Do You Get Shingles
Don’t Miss: How Long Does A Case Of Shingles Last
What Is The Outcome For Someone Who Has Shingles
Most people get shingles once, but its possible to get it again.
If you have a healthy immune system, the blisters tend to clear in 7 to 10 days. The rash tends to go away completely within 2 to 4 weeks. The pain may last longer, but usually stops in 1 or 2 months.
For some people, the pain will last longer than the rash. When it does, its called postherpetic neuralgia , which can come and go or be constant. PHN can last for months, years, or the rest of your life. Treatment can help reduce the amount of pain you feel.
Be sure to tell your doctor if you continue to have pain. Treatment can help you feel more comfortable.
For anyone who has a shingles rash, the right self-care can help ease your discomfort. Youll find out what dermatologists recommend at, Shingles: Self-care.
ReferencesCenters for Disease Control and Prevention . About shingles. Page last reviewed 10/17/2017. Last accessed 4/1/2019.
Dooling KL, Guo A, et al. Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for Use of Herpes Zoster Vaccines. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2018 67:103-8.
Madkan V, Sra K, et al. Human herpes viruses. In: Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. . Mosby Elsevier, Spain, 2008: 1204-8.
Straus SE, Oxman MN. Varicella and herpes zoster. In: Wolff K, Goldsmith LA, et al. Fitzpatricks Dermatology in General Medicine . McGraw Hill Medical, New York, 2008: 1885-98.
When Should I See My Doctor
See your doctor as soon as possible if you are experiencing any symptoms of shingles. Starting treatment with antiviral medicines within 3 days of the rash appearing should reduce the severity of symptoms and the risk of further complications, including post-herpetic neuralgia.
See your doctor straight away if you have symptoms of shingles and are experiencing the following:
- symptoms that affect your eye area
- a temperature of 38Â°C or higher
You should also see your doctor if you are pregnant, or have a weakened immune system due to medicine that suppresses the immune system, or a condition that weakens your immune system.
Read Also: What Does Shingles Look Like On Feet
Shingles Lotion Cream For Pain Relief And Skin Affected By Shingles And Nerve Sensitivity
- DECREASE RECOVERY TIME- by providing your skin with the nutrients and moisture it needs to repair the top layers of your skin. Shingles will create blisters that soon pop or dry out leaving damaged skin that needs help to recover
- MOISTURIZE AND REJUVENATE your skin to help it preserve unaffected areas and help damaged skin recover and heal
- NERVE NUMBING ingredients designed to help penetrate the skin and ease the nerve pain caused by shingles.
- STOP ITCHING your shingle affected skin by applying twice daily to help soothe the skin, reduce pain, and ease the temptation to itch at affected skin
- IF YOU DONT LIKE THE PRODUCT, WE WILL BUY IT BACK. Click the return button, drop it off at a post office, and we will send 100% of your money back.
Additional Info :
Best Shingles Treatment Cream For Pain Relief Essential Oil Topical Formula Provides Maximum Recovery Stops Burning Itching & Nerve Pain Heals Bruises Quickly Guaranteed By Myomed Pro 35oz
- HELPS MINIMIZE SCARRING Essential Oil formula helps to minimize scars caused by shingles pox.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE Natural homeopathic essential oils are highly effective. Drastically reduce healing time.
- WORKS GREAT ON BRUISES Bruise cream works fast to heal and provide maximum relief.
- FAST SHINGLES VIRUS RELIEF Stops severe pain and itching caused by herpes zoster. Heal quicker. Test on small area first. May have burning sensation on very sensitive skin.
- MADE IN USA Your purchase & satisfaction is 100% unconditionally guaranteed. No risk. Order Now.
Also Check: Shingles Treatment Cream Over The Counter
Natural Remedies For Shingles
If you had chickenpox as a child, the shingles virus lies dormant in your body. The virus can reactivate later in life and cause a shingles rash. The rash can occur on any part of your body but typically only affects small sections.
Pain is usually the first symptom of shingles. The rash and fluid-filled blisters form within a couple of days after the onset of pain. Some people with shingles also have a fever, sensitivity to light, and fatigue.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , about 1 in 3 people in the United States will develop shingles at some point in their lifetime.
The shingles virus can last between two and six weeks. Shingles isnt life-threatening, but some people experience postherpetic neuralgia. This is when nerve fibers become damaged, causing shingles pain that lasts for weeks or months after the rash clears.
Theres no cure for shingles, but your doctor can prescribe antiviral medication to help shorten the duration of the virus and reduce symptoms.
Although an antiviral is an effective treatment for shingles, its not the only option. Several natural remedies may also reduce pain and discomfort.
Dry your body completely and then wash your towel to avoid spreading the virus to others.
- orange and yellow fruits
What Are The Complications Of Shingles
Symptoms of shingles usually dont last longer than 3 to 5 weeks. However, complications can happen. The main complications that can result from shingles include:
- Postherpetic neuralgia . The most common complication of shingles is called postherpetic neuralgia . This continuous, chronic pain lasts even after the skin lesions have healed. The pain may be severe in the area where the blisters were present. The affected skin may be very sensitive to heat and cold. If you had severe pain during the active rash or have impaired senses, you are at increased risk for PHN. The elderly are also at greater risk. Early treatment of shingles may prevent PHN. Pain relievers and steroid treatment may be used to treat the pain and inflammation. Other treatments include antiviral drugs, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and topical agents.
- Bacterial infection. A bacterial infection of the skin where the rash happens is another complication. Rarely, infections can lead to more problems, such as tissue death and scarring. When an infection happens near or on the eyes, a corneal infection can happen. This can lead to temporary or permanent blindness.
Recommended Reading: What Shingles Are Better Owens Corning Or Certainteed
Look For A Lidocaine Patch
Lidocaine is an anesthetic agent that temporarily numbs the area where its applied, which can help with PHN pain. With significant postherpetic neuralgia, I find that the topical lidocaine patch is usually the most useful, says Camille Kotton, M.D., clinical director of transplant and immunocompromised host infectious diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. Lidocaine is available as a prescription or OTC, though Dr. Kotton notes it can be difficult to get covered by insurance.
Best Pain Relief For Shingles: Creams And Antiviral Medication
If you’ve ever had chickenpox, youve been infected with the varicella-zoster virus . As a child, the concept of the virus remaining in your body forever may not seem very interesting. However, if the virus does reactivate later in life and causes shingles, it can be very painful and serious.
Your doctor may refer to shingles as herpes zoster , as the virus is one of the herpes variations that can affect humans, specifically Human Herpesvirus 3 . But no matter what it’s called, the virus lives in your nerve cells, and when it’s reactivated, it can cause a painful skin rash. About 30% of the adult population in the US will have shingles at some point.¹
There is medication to treat shingles, but one of the worst characteristics of the disease is the sometimes debilitating pain that can persist months after the rash has healed. If you catch a shingles outbreak early, your doctor can prescribe antiviral medication to ease the acute symptoms and lower your chances of developing persistent postherpetic neuralgia .
If you’re over 50, the shingles vaccine is recommended to combat the VZV virus it significantly lowers your risk for both HZ and PHN.
Also Check: Post Shingles Fatigue And Joint Pain Symptoms
Best For Back Pain: Aspercreme Maximum Strength Pain Relief Creme With Aloe
- Frequent applications required
For joint pain due to osteoarthritis, Dr. Mikhael likes creams containing diclofenac, like this gel from Voltaren. The non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug has been shown to be as effective at relieving arthritis pain and stiffness as well as oral NSAIDs with fewer risks and side effects, according to the Arthritis Foundation.
In the past, Voltaren was only available by prescription. But now a version containing 1 percent diclofenac is available over the counter. The gel formulation isn’t greasy, and the twist cap is designed to be easy to open with sore, stiff hands and wrists.
âBuy it: âWalmart.com âPrice: â$10.46
How Can I Treat Shingles Naturally
The shingles virus affects the nerves, which is why a skin rash only appears in a specific area of the body rather than all over. However, nerve pain is still possible even after the shingles rash has disappeared. If the nerve fibers are damaged, they are unable to send messages from your skin to your brain. This complication of shingles is called postherpetic neuralgia and it can cause severe pain, lasting months or even years.
Postherpetic neuralgia is more common in the following patients:
- Adults over the age of 50
- Patients with another medical condition, like diabetes
- Those who experienced a severe shingles rash
- Those who experienced a shingles rash on the face or torso
- Patients who didnt begin shingles treatment within 72 hours of symptoms appearing
Besides chronic pain, symptoms of postherpetic neuralgia include depression, insomnia, suppressed appetite, and attention deficits. Fortunately, there are home remedies, over-the-counter products, and prescription medications that offer pain relief to these symptoms. Heres a long list of treatments:
Don’t Miss: Shingles And Type 2 Diabetes
Can It Help With Shingles
Organizations that promote the benefits of acupuncture suggest that it can help provide pain relief. The British Acupuncture Council states that while more research is necessary, acupuncture may help to relieve painful symptoms of shingles.
A 2019 systematic review and meta-analysis reports that acupuncture may reduce pain intensity, relieve anxiety, and improve the quality of life in people who have PHN. This is consistent with a , which adds that while there is not enough evidence to suggest acupuncture is superior to other treatments, it is generally safe and may be effective for providing pain relief.
Current evidence suggests that other factors, such as a persons expectation or belief unrelated to acupuncture, may play a role in the pain-relieving effects of acupuncture. As researchers are only beginning to understand the potential benefits of the technique, this highlights the necessity for more research.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health , experts generally consider acupuncture safe when performed by an experienced, licensed, and well-trained practitioner using sterile needles. However, the NCCIH also adds that acupuncture can cause serious adverse effects, including injury to the central nervous system.
recommends that healthy adults ages 50 years and older get the shingles vaccine, known as Shingrix. A pharmacist or doctor gives a person two doses of the vaccine 26 months apart.
Also Check: Is There A Rash With Shingles
Organic Shingles Pain Relief Cream
- Quality you can rely on, family-owned, with over 30 years in natural skin and hair care, and made in our US lab, our focus is on innovating powerful, natural solutions for skin and hair issues.
- Safe, effective, and pure. Our natural cream is made with responsibly sourced, natural ingredients nature has to offer, including manuka honey, aloe vera, cehami, coconut oil, cocoa, and shea butter, and more.
- Stop living in pain with shingles cream specially formulated to help heal the skin and relieve the symptoms of shingles breakouts, hives, rashes, skin flare-ups, and more.
- Carefully pH balanced to help ensure zero irritation, gentle and easy absorption, and the restoration and maintenance of your skins natural state allowing faster cellular regeneration.
- Side effect-free relief unlike heavy drugs or medicine, our cream comes without the uncomfortable and undesirable side effects. Made without harmful chemicals, our cream is paraben-free, sulfate-free, fragrance-free, gluten-free, and side-effect-free.
Also Check: Where Does Shingles Appear On The Body
You May Like: What Happens When You Get Shingles
Symptoms Of Shingles In The Eye
The symptoms of shingles around the eye may be different from the symptoms of eye involvement. Symptoms of shingles around the eye area may include:
Tingling on the face
Patients who have shingles on the face should get antiviral treatment for shingles and also see an optician right away to monitor for ocular shingles.
Because the eye can become involved later in the disease process, it is important to follow up with the optician even if your eye appears fine at first.
Appendix 1 Medline Search Strategy
1. randomized controlled trial.pt. 2. controlled clinical trial.pt. 3. randomized.ab. 4. placebo.ab. 5. drug therapy.fs. 6. randomly.ab. 7. trial.ab. 8. groups.ab. 9. or/18 10. humans.sh. 11. 9 and 10 12. lidocaine 13. lignocaine 14. Anesthesia, Local/ or Anesthetics, Local/ 15. or/1214 16. Postherpetic 17. Postherpetic 18. Neuralgia 19. or/1618 20. 11 and 15 and 19
Dont Miss: How Safe Is The Shingles Vaccine
Read Also: Pictures Of Shingles On Chest